The course covers 4 certifications: Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Sexual and Reproductive Health Counselor, and Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. This course also includes 64 hours of continuing education credits includes certifications in the following areas:
- Uzazi Village Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
- Uzazi Village Birth and Postpartum Doula
- Uzazi Village Childbirth Educator
- Uzazi Village Contraceptive Counselor
This is the required training for Uzazi Village Sister Doulas.
See the below for information about course requirements.
As with all our classes and events, nursing babies and lap babies are welcome.
8 day Course:
payment options are listed at the bottom of the page
Requirements for this course include:
– Attend all 8 sessions of the training
– Read “The Labor Hand Book” by Penny Simkin and complete a book review
– Read “The Black Woman’s Guide to Breast-feeding” by Katherine Barber and complete a book review
– Read ONE book from the required reading list below, or one book approved before the start of class, and complete a book review
-MUST turn in 3 of 3 book reviews by the end of the course
-A required test is completed at the end of each course day. A score of 80% or greater must be obtained.
-Must complete a Teaching Demonstration
-Certification is available please see our Certification page for more information
Each training session will consist of an 8-hour day with a 15-minute break in the am and pm and a 30-minute break for lunch. (Lunch will be on your own- we can order in from a local restaurant, or we can have a potluck).
If you are a Sister Doula in training:
-Submit an application and sit for an interview with Uzazi Village
-Attend a Community Health Worker training. This is currently offered through Metropolitan Community Colleges, contact Joanne Thies at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
– Attend all 8 sessions of the Perinatal Doula training
-Must complete all tests with a minimum of 80% and successfully complete a teaching demonstration
– Must have 3 births overseen by staff or a senior doula
-Federal background check ($11 fee)
-Purchase Doula insurance through CM&F
- Active Birth/Janet Balaskas
- The Birth Partner/Penny Simpkin
- Birthing From Within/Pam England
- A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth/Murray Enkin
- The Birth Book/William Sears
- The Black Woman’s Guide to Breastfeeding/Katherine Barber
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth/Henci Goer
- Ina Mae’s Guide to Childbirth/Ina Mae Gaskin
- Birth as an American Rite of Passage/Robbie Davis-Floyd
- The Politics of Breastfeeding/Gabrielle Palmer
- Birth/Tina Cassidy
- Who’s Having this Baby/Helen Sterk
- Childbirth Education/ Francine Nichols
- A Good Birth, A Safe Birth/Roberta Scaer
- The Labor Progress Handbook/Penny Simpkin
- Teaching Natural Birth/Jan Whitcomb
- The Power of Women/Sister Morningstar
Payment Option 1
You may pay the full fee in advance or on the first day of class.
Payment Option 2
You may break the payments into two parts, the initial payment due on the first day of class and the second payment due by the third class.
Payment Option 3
You may break payments into three parts, the first payment due by the first day of class, the second payment due by the third class, and the third payment due by the final day of class.